Our research team has been continuously monitoring, analyzing, and reporting the on-going data breaches to the users. Recently, we came across a threat actor who claimed to have breached the database of Wattpad and posted a full database of around 120 GB for free on one of the hacking forums. It got our concern because in the first week of July 2020 Cyble detected this data breach, and along with that got the information about the database to be sold by one of the credible threat actors for 10 bitcoins, or almost $100,000.
Wattpad is the world’s most-loved social storytelling platform which tends to connect a global community of 80 million reader and writers. It was launched in the year 2006, and since then it has been creating social communities around stories for both amateur and established writers. Although available in over 50 languages, 77% of its content is written in English. A number of Wattpad users are translating stories to continue to build the platform.
Based on the post and our cyber information sources it seems that the social networking site Wattpad was breached in the month of June 2020 which led to leaking of 271 million users’ records including-:
- Login Credentials
- Full Name
- Contact Number
- Date of Birth, etc.
After further investigating one of the largest data breaches ever recorded in the books of history our researchers verified the leaked user accounts on the basis of the sample records they tested. Below is the snapshot of the small portion of the Wattpad user’s login credentials.
The story is in the progress of been developing, as our research team is still in the progress of gathering more fruitful information about this data breach and would be reporting it as soon as we get it.
We recommend people to:
- Never share personal information, including financial information over the phone, email or SMSs
- Use strong passwords and enforce multi-factor authentication where possible
- Regularly monitor your financial transaction, if you notice any suspicious transaction, contact your bank immediately.
- Turn-on automatic software update feature on your computer, mobile and other connected devices where possible and pragmatic
- Use a reputed anti-virus and internet security software package on your connected devices including PC, Laptop, Mobile
- People who are concerned about their exposure in darkweb can register at AmiBreached.com to ascertain their exposure.
Cyble is an Atlanta, US-based, global premium cyber-security firm with tools and capabilities to provide near real-time cyber threat intelligence.
Cyble Inc.’s mission is to provide organizations with a real-time view of their supply chain cyber threats and risks. Their SaaS-based solution powered by machine learning and human analysis provides organizations’ insights to cyber threats introduced by suppliers and enables them to respond to them faster and more efficiently.
This monitoring and notification platform gives the average consumer insights into their personal cybersecurity issues, allowing them to take action then as needed. It has recently earned accolades from Forbes as being the top 20 cyber-security companies to watch in 2020.