Currently, ransomware cyberattacks have started to grow as big businesses, so big in fact, that researchers anticipate an organization is been attacked by a cybercriminal every 11 seconds and damage costs from these attacks will seem to hit around $20 billion by 2021.
During our continuous darkweb and deepweb monitoring, the Cyble Research Team came across the post of Nefilim ransomware operators in which they have claimed to have breached The SPIE Group and in possession of the company’s sensitive data.
As the independent European leader in multi-technical services in the areas of energy and communications, SPIE supports its customers to design, build, operate, and maintain energy-efficient and environmentally-friendly facilities. With more than 47,200 employees and a strong local presence, SPIE achieved in 2019 consolidated revenues of €6.9 billion and consolidated EBITA of €416 million.
Below is the message posted by Nefilim ransomware operators-:
After analysing the leaked files, Cyble Research Team identified-:
- Currently, the ransomware operators have published the data leak part 1 of the company of around 11.5 GB.
- The data leak seems to consist of corporate operational documents which include the company’s telecom services contracts, dissolution legal documents, power of attorney documents, infrastructure group reconstructions contracts, and much more.
- In total 65,042 company’s data files and 18,551 data folders seem to have been leaked by the ransomware operators.
Cyble has been reporting these types of breaches to aware individuals of the risks associated with using online services.
Tips on how to prevent ransomware attacks –
- Never click on unverified/unidentified links
- Do not open untrusted email attachments
- Only download from sites you trust
- Never use unfamiliar USBs
- Use security software and keep it updated
- Backup your data periodically
- Isolate the infected system from the network
- Use mail server content scanning and filtering
It is recommended to follow above mentioned prevention methods and never pay the ransom.
Cyble is an Atlanta, US-based, global premium cyber-security firm with tools and capabilities to provide near real-time cyber threat intelligence.
Cyble Inc.’s mission is to provide organizations with a real-time view of their supply chain cyber threats and risks. Their SaaS-based solution powered by machine learning and human analysis provides organizations’ insights to cyber threats introduced by suppliers and enables them to respond to them faster and more efficiently.
This monitoring and notification platform gives the average consumer insights into their personal cybersecurity issues, allowing them to take action then as needed. It has recently earned accolades from Forbes as being the top 20 cyber-security companies to watch in 2020.