Cyberattacks have been seen continue to plague the education sector, according to a research report, one in three universities face cyber attacks every hour. Education institutions have been seen to face cyber threats due to the valuable information stored on school networks and along with that the threat actors have also been seen using their network infrastructure to launch operations against other targets.
Recently, our researchers identified a leak post in which DopplePaymer ransomware operators claimed to have breached the Royal Military College of Canada (RMC) – Established in the year 1876, RMC is the only federal institution in Canada with degree-granting powers. It is a college of a mix of historic buildings and more modern academic, athletic, and dormitory facilities.
Below is the leak disclosure post through which the DopplePaymer claims to the breach of the Royal Military College of Canada-:
After analysing the company’s leaked data of around 1GB, our researchers gathered some of critical information as detailed below-:
- Documents detailing the donations been made to the Royal Military College been leaked.
- Purchase invoices of equipment and restaurant supplies for purchases been made by the RMC been leaked.
- Student’s acceptance and rejection letters of PHD and Master courses been leaked.
- Commercial purchasing legal contracts associated with the college been leaked.
- The ransomware operators seem to got hold the details of 3349 machines which are been installed at the college.
Cyble has been reporting these data breaches to aware individuals of the risks associated with using online services.
We recommend people to:
- Never share personal information, including financial information over the phone, email or SMSs
- Use strong passwords and enforce multi-factor authentication where possible
- Regularly monitor your financial transaction, if you notice any suspicious transaction, contact your bank immediately.
- Turn-on automatic software update feature on your computer, mobile and other connected devices where possible and pragmatic
- Use a reputed anti-virus and internet security software package on your connected devices including PC, Laptop, Mobile
- People who are concerned about their exposure in darkweb can register at AmiBreached.com to ascertain their exposure.
Cyble is an Atlanta, US-based, global premium cyber-security firm with tools and capabilities to provide near real-time cyber threat intelligence.
Cyble Inc.’s mission is to provide organizations with a real-time view of their supply chain cyber threats and risks. Their SaaS-based solution powered by machine learning and human analysis provides organizations’ insights to cyber threats introduced by suppliers and enables them to respond to them faster and more efficiently.
This monitoring and notification platform gives the average consumer insights into their personal cybersecurity issues, allowing them to take action then as needed. It has recently earned accolades from Forbes as being the top 20 cyber-security companies to watch in 2020.